Fine line.

What do you care if I'm sat in a doorway
Why would you worry
Its not happening to you

What if it was me
Who ignored your humble pleading
How come its me
Who's
Down on His luck

I may not be able
To feed myself daily
I might never be able to vacate this box
The rain washes over me
It drenches my soul
But I'm not looking for money
To purchase bagged dope

I once was a lawyer
I used to be sane
I once was a driver
I once held some fame
The inevitability
Of a gambling addiction
Mentally ill.

You don't know my story
I'm invisible to you
I'll ask for some change
As you walk on by
A coin or a note
To get me some coffee
Some leftover food
Some chicken or bread

You'll never experience
The destitution of this life
You will never witness
What my eyes have seen
The heinous afflictions
Of the impoverished and desperate
I hope that you'll never
Rake through these bins

I once had a house
Surrounded by fencing
My lawnmower was clean
And ran like a dream
My wife
She was happy
She called me her hubby
My kids called me daddy
As they perched on my knee

Yesterday
I saw her
my angel
My daughter
I hid in the doorway
To ashamed to be seen

Don't ever judge
The man with the sign
Don't ever imagine
That its not
A fine line
One wrong decision
Can cast you towards chaos
The house built on sand
Will sink without trace

I may not be worthy
Of  generous affections
I might never recover
And sleep in a bed
My family disowned me

Believing me dead

Could you live as I live
Would you survive
When you go to sleep
Do tears fill your eyes
when you awaken
Twenty four seven
Do you feel like your life
Has come to an end.

Move carefully people
With each step you tread
Stay close to those
Who live in your heart
Addiction will steal you away
From your path.

AGL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight for your life.

Folks.