We thought we were told

Education deals her blows
The smart get smarter
The disillusioned
Are left for dead
 
In the seventies
Guidance led us
You could not believe
That you could be an author
 
Go get a job on the factory floor
Stack some boxes
In a presto store
Luck will take you to
The Reid Gear
 
Maggie's weans
We left the high
Youth opportunities
Was just like school
 
Paid with buttons
Learning little
The bullies
Offered
A head full of spittle
 
The promises of an infants life
Primary one
A wean heard crying
As mammies
Leave
The smell of the classrooms
Polished floors
 
 
If I had known before
What I wish I knew now
I'd have approached the books
Made the promise
Took the vow
 
But what was the point
If scorn was felt
From those poor kids
Who treated brains like shite
 
Some of course would rise above
They'd study hard and have a chance to thrive
Some of us
Thought study was hopeless
Whats the point in learning this
 
We were stupid
But not up top
Our ignorance
Was falsely sought
By an obscured idea
That Britain was wealthy
She would support us in
Our idiom of lethargy
 
As I look back
At the childlike me
I wish I had cut my teeth
On books on logic
By learned scholars
Not on some misguided belief
 
 
"There's plenty work
We don't need to worry
The welfare state
Pays you free money"
Don't be fooled by the idea of working
If the country's wealth will keep you turning.
 
What a bunch of total idiots
Now some are dead
Their livers invalid
Some went on
To go to college
When the insanity of choices
Were exposed as crazy
 
Its never too late
You are never too old
To learn a trade
Or change your job
Don't be afraid
If they tell you you can't
Just get off your arse
Do what you CAN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight for your life.

Folks.