Wealthy land.

If I explode with rage
What difference would it make
Laughing in the face of of adversity
Would I be any safer
Cry in pools of sorrow
Would I be noticed and supported through it

If I was invisible
To eye and to ear
If I were to shout and not be heard
Screaming from the bottom of my lungs
My distress falls unnoticed

Frustration about injustice
Concern for others
Caring and humanity
What does it matter
If I am to be perceived as a silent voice by
Those who do not listen

Beauty IS visible
The splendour of the natural world
Imaginations captured
By the simplest flowering plant
Explosions of colour
Cannot be ignored

Seen by all
Or
Heard by those who listen
As the owl announces her location
The free, unchanged rural world
She soars above our prison
Miles from
Cardboard cities

Famine, Death
Wars and Crime
Hidden from view
By apathy and disbelief

The beggar

Cup outstretched
Pennies for food
Under bridges
Frozen to the core
A skinny dog
A threadbare coat
Addiction
Health
Hopeless and alone

If I were to shout
demand support for those less fortunate
Is there any point?
When they, who should
Cannot see

When sixty thousand homes lie empty
Tenantless
While the stricken starve
I eat dinner
I grow fat as they grow thinner

Invisible
Unseen hordes
In every corner
Of this our globe
Whether killed in conflict
Or dying in the streets
Kidnapped for slavery
Or
Worked until deceased

Who will hear us if we call

The establishment

Caring?

Not at all

Despite the rhetoric of good intentions
Moneys tight
Supporting the pensions?

The hopes of the starving
Social responsibility
lnterventions
Wasteful corporations
Feign good intentions

Unseen
Hidden
Invisible
Helpless
Pointless
Out of sight
Out of head
Winter comes
Homeless
Dead

Austerity
For the privileged
Is not a word
Holding the purse strings
Wallets fit too burst



Crusts from the table
Charity
And
Meat
Provided through donations
Cobbled, wet,
Back streets
Hide the citizens
In this
RICH
Land
Keep them out of sight
A turd on the sole
Of newly cobbled shoes
The poor
An unsightly blight.



AGL


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight for your life.

Folks.