Craig Mackie, RIP

In the nineteen eighties when I was but a lad, I began every Saturday to go along to various venues in Paisley, where I and many, many others were witness to some quiet incredible musicianship, from a multitude of bands, the representation of different genres was astonishing.
 
The blues scene in Paisley at the time was something to be very proud of for those who attended and for the many talented men and women who played an active part, Dennis McBride, Jukebox, Gordon, big Al, The Sons, Brazil, too many bands too remember.  As a regular spectator, ,usually too pished to truly appreciate the brilliance, but giving it my best shot, I started talking one Saturday to a man called Craig who along with his wife was always in and around the music scene in paisley.
 
Craig, despite being a bit older than myself and my friends was always a true gent, never any bother to be around, and as many of us will remember from those times that wasn't always how gigs rolled JINGS!!  Craig and his wife were always very gracious and kind to me, when my parents moved to brown street I began to see them both regularly coming and going from town.
 
Always being too nervous to try singing or performing myself, it wasn't until twenty years later that I became re-acquainted with Craig through my good friend Andy Boyd and usually in the company of Wullie Mathews, I managed just about to get some bottle and sang (SHOUTED) occasionally at the open Mike nights in the Abbey bar and at the Station bar, when I was being a nervous pervous, Craig always offered words of encouragement, when he played he would play old songs from the twenties or later and this glimpse of music I had all but never heard before was a true inspiration.
To the family I wish to send my deepest condolences yer man was one of the most altruistic, conscientious giving people it has been my pleasure to meet.
 
I usually write poems on my blog, but after reading Debby's beautiful tribute I thought it a bad idea, you can't follow class with crass.
I post this so that those on twitter and on face book and in google land can learn a wee bit about a perhaps unknown person that they have never and will never meet, those who have met him will never forget the man who worked tirelessly for 'maggies' on an annual basis and who was one of the main men when it came to producing the annual album full of local talent that was sold for charity, raffles, gig, nights, wow!!  what guy.
 
It sickens me when people like Craig are not recognised for their contribution to community and to society at large, if he had been total 'bawbag' celebrity doing the same thing his star would have risen, but too everyone who knew him he was meteoric, a comet that will come back to visit us when we remember every few years about those days gone by, and for those that will be left in a void without him, I bow my head. Long live 'Maggie's' and condolences also to Andy Boyd, I hope he is inspired to help carry on where Craig left off along with all of the other very talented people in the Paisley area who do so much, you know who you are.   RIP Craig Mackie, Have a pint on me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight for your life.

Folks.